JJRC H9D – affordable first person view drone
The JJRC H9D drone is available with a 0.3MP or 2MP FPV camera, both models can be ordered in two different colors (gold and grey).
7 Days after I placed my order I got my JJRC H9D with 0.3MP camera. The drone was well packaged to avoid any damages trough the delivery process from China to Europe.
The gold finish is not very usual as drone color but, trust me, this JJRC H9D is looking very cool in this color.
When I opened the box of the JJRC H9D drone I had to admit that these Chinese guys really know hot to use every square cm of space. Looking at the size of the box, you can probably don’t believe that it contains a normal sized drone together with a complete first person view system.
Inside the box you will find the H9D drone with the props already mounted, the 2.4GHz transmitter with a 4.3″ FPV screen, one small bag with the usual accessories and the user manual.
The first positive surprise was that, the LCD screen is not just for displaying the real-time video feed but also to playback the recorded videos on the field. Just remove the memory card from the camera and load it in to the LCD screen and select the view menu.
Another useful feature is the selectable flight mode. “Low” mode for beginners and “High” mode for advanced pilots.
Unfortunately the FPV system uses a proprietary non-standard 2.4GHz radio modulation, so the FPV display can’t be used with other 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi cameras. Also, an AV input would be very useful to integrate the display with other FPV receivers.
It was very hard to find the on/off button on the H9D. Why? Because it has none. There is enough space on the bottom of the H9D to install one and probably it wouldn’t cost more than 10 cents, so it is a real mystery to me why they avoided to add the on/off button.
The drone is powered with a 3.7v 650mAh battery that is enough for up to 6-8 minutes of flight. The JJRC drone designers probably opted for 3.7V system after the several motor fails of the H8C model with 7.4V battery.
For better orientation and night flights, the H9D drone is equipped with 5 LED lights, one on each arm of the drone and one bright white LED in the front of it.
They announced a few rainy days but, when they will pass I will do some outdoor flight tests to see how far I can fly with the H9D drone and also test the range and the quality of the live video transmission, so come back for the part II of my JJRC H9D Drone review.
JJRC H9D Drone features and specs:
- Complete FPV solution;
- Onboard FPV camera, 0.3MP or 2MP;
- 2.4Ghz remote controller with detachable FPV screen;
- Selectable speed mode (Low and High);
- Flight time: up to 8 minute;
- Control distance: Up to 100 meter;
- Battery: 1s 650mAh Li-Po;
- H9D weight with landing skid and prop guards: 120g;
- Available colors: gold and gray;
Some hacks that I’m planning to do with the H9D drone:
- Adding some real ball bearings (6x3x2);
- Powering the LCD screen with Li-Po batteries;
- Adding AV input to the FPV screen;
- Adding ON/OFF switch.
JJRC H9D package includes:
- The drone it self;
- First person view camera (2Mp or 0.3Mp);
- 2.4Ghz remote controller with FPV LCD display;
- 2pcs of landing skids;
- 1 set of prop guards;
- 1 set of spare propellers (2 CW, 2 CCW);
- USB LI-PO battery charging cable;
- USB microSD card reader;
- 2GB microSD memory card;
- JJRC H9D user manual.
H9D FPV drone unboxing video (watch in 1080p)
With FPV functionality and an updated transmitter, this new JJRC multi-rotor is recommended for those with a limited budget that want to experience the delights of flying first person view drones.
The JJRC H9D has very nice flying characteristics and is a perfect and also cheaper alternative to the HM1315 drone.
You can order this amazing FPV drone from GearBest for only $85.99 right here: Order.
- Dual speed mode;
- Very good control and FPV range;
- Amazing LED lights;
- Complete first person view solution;
- Distinctive colors for front and back props.
- No power switch;
- Poor quality plastic body;
- No ball bearings;
- Non standard 2.4GHz image transition;
- Shared battery between the RC and FPV screen;